Friday, June 4, 2010

Learning About Myself

So, last night was the cherry on top to the lesson I have recently learned about myself in regards to exercising. It's probably the most valuable thing P90X has taught me so far.

Let me explain. Yesterday, I was not looking forward to Yoga. It is my least favorite DVD mostly because I am so horribly unflexible. I like to be good at things right away, and if I'm not, I'm more inclined to pretend said things don't exist.

So, I was bummed it was Yoga night, but I went ahead and started at it anyways, because I'm determined to finish out these 90 days! I'm still feeling a little under the weather, so my goal was to make it through an hour, rather than the full hour and a half.

Now, this isn't your regular, stretch and hold a pose for a few seconds. This is get into a pose and immediately move into another one at lightning, incredibly-coordinated-person speed. Which I am. I am clumsy and slow and have a hard time keeping up with Tony on my best days, which yesterday was not. So, I fumbled my way through, doing the best I could, until they started getting into the advanced moves.

At that point, I made a decision.

I had already completed a half hour of the work out. If I skipped what I thought was the next half hour of difficult poses, I could finish out my goal of 1 hour with the final half hour of the workout. Does that make sense? I hope so.

So, I started skipping through the difficult poses that I knew I couldn't hold because A) I wasn't motivated to do so B) Wasn't feeling my best C) my arms were weak from the Biceps & Back exercise the day before and D) My legs were weak from the previous half hour of Yoga!

To my surprise, about 18 minutes later, they were in the beginning of the balance pose portion! Sweet! I only skipped 18 minutes, and had enough energy and strength left to finish out the disc! Which means I beat my goal of an hour for the evening...which is always a good feeling, especially when I'm still sick!

So, my lesson is conserve - but be smart and honest about it. If I had known there were only 15 minutes after the sequence I wanted to skip, I would have tried to stick it out because I wouldn't reach my goal. Instead, I was rewarded with a longer exercise because I thought about what I was doing and decided to do what was best for me. Which turned out to be even better for me!

Plus, after Yoga, I spent the next hour and a half outside in the sprinkling rain hauling giant bags of dirt to our planter beds and dumping them in. Something like 26 bags of soil went into our 3 large beds and 1 small bed for my strawberries. :)

We went out for dinner last night, and I wound up with a turkey and avocado sandwich (which turned into a turkey and guacomole sandwich - they were out of avocado. Strange) that was DELICIOUS and sweet potato fries which were so good! The Boyfriend had our favorite meal to order there, and usual we order two of the same thing but I was trying to be good. I think I succeeded!

Tonight, my best friend comes in to town and we have lots of fun plans!! Going to our other best friend's bridal shower this weekend, but tonight, it's just me, her and a bottle of champagne. Love it. And her!

I'm going to get off work early and head home to my Legs & Back & Ab ripper, then she comes in to town...Dinner tonight is fajitas like I mentioned yesterday. Bringing back some good memories!

You won't hear from me until Monday. Yes, I'm probably going to miss my Saturday workout unless I wake up early to complete, which, let's face it, probably won't hapen.

Until Monday...

No comments:

Post a Comment